Managing tasks with Deskun: a step-by-step instruction
Deskun is an affordable solution for efficient task management, built inside familiar Gmail interface. This software enables you to:
- Organize workgroups (called Channels here);
- Assign tasks to specific employees;
- Delegate responsibilities;
- Set deadlines for task completion;
- Create checklists (subtasks);
- Rank tasks by priority;
- Share notes and much more.
If you already have the Google Chrome extension installed, you can proceed with the configuration in the Deskun Control Panel.
Step 1. Create a channel for each company department
Let’s assume there are 3 departments in a company:
We will create a separate channel for every department to ensure efficient task distribution. If you have a small project or a startup, you can create a separate channel for each employee.
Click the "Create new project" button. Specify the name and save it. We recommend filling in the following: the name of the project = company name, channel name = department name.
Add the first channel by clicking the corresponding button, and choose "Task management".
Then invite agents -- department employees -- to the channel. Prior to doing this, enter their Gmail or G Suite addresses. These employees will be able to see new tasks in the current queue and create their own, delegate them to each other, share notes, etc. If necessary, you can provide extended access rights to an employee by assigning administrator rights to them.
To continue creating other channels, click the "Complete" button. Then create the channels for other departments by clicking the "Add channel" button.
When you are all set, you will see a structure like this in your Control Panel:
Now when you open Gmail, your project and channels will appear in a separate Deskun folder.
Step 2. Set a task
With Deskun, setting a task is as easy as sending an email. To create a task, click the New ticket button. You’ll see the "compose message" window with advanced options. Email subject is used to formulate the task, and the body to describe it in more detail. Let’s take a closer look at the new features:
You have five new opportunities for setting and concretizing the task.
- Choose the channel it is relevant to, i.e. the department.
- Indicate the priority of the task. By default, it is set to Common.
- If necessary, assign the task to a specific employee.
- Set the deadline.
- Create a checklist. It can be a list of subtasks or requirements for the task.
Step 3. Manage your workflow and monitor task execution
Your employees should also install the Deskun extension, and accept an invitation to the project. It will appear in Gmail interface. Along with a new task, your employee receives a notification. There’s an icon next to each channel showing the number of new tasks.
There’s an option to delegate the task to another employee. For example, you have created a ticket for the IT department chief. He can delegate it to any of his subordinates and decide for himself who will be responsible for task execution.
Task progress is displayed inside the ticket. Any deadline and priority changes, completing checklist items, leaving notes can all be done from within the ticket to ensure full transparency.
Managing tasks is even more convenient with Deskun features for Gmail
- Mailtracking. You’ve set a task, but there’s no reaction? Open the ticket and see if the employee has read it. If yes, the eye icon under the user picture will be green and gray if not. When you hover over the eye icon, you will see the date and time of reading. If the task was set for the entire department, Deskun will notify you every time the ticket is opened by anyone. Mailtracking for tickets in enabled by default.
- Message templates. This function will be useful when creating similar tasks, composing standard emails and answering typical customer requests. Templates are created in the Control Panel. Simply select the template when setting a new task, and complete it with the particulars.
- Send later. You can set any time to dispatch an email. This feature is convenient for sending reports among other things.
- The Snooze feature is made to remind yourself of important tasks when you can’t react to them right away. Attach a timer to any ticket, and after the set period later it will appear in the list marked as "new".
You can find out more about working with tickets in Deskun here.